Most of us, when they have a shower, don't even notice what the experience feels like. We are distracted by hundred things while having a shower. One of the ways of implementing mindfulness is to be aware what we eat or drink or hear or watch or even having a shower.You will notice that when you are mindful of having a shower, it is an entirely different, rich and relaxing experience. Let us be mindful of having a shower in the morning or evening
1. Notice how it feels on your skin and under your feet as you stand before opening the shower
2. Notice how it feels in your hand when you open the shower
3. Pay attention to the sound of water coming out of the shower
4. Pay attention to how water feels on your head and as it trickles down your body
5. Pay attention to the temperature of water. Does it feel warm or cold?
6. Pay attention how it feels when applying shampoo to your hair
7. Pay attention to how it feels applying shower gel to your body
8. Pay attention to the smell of shampoo and gel
9. As you wash off shampoo and gel from your hair and body, how does water feel on your head, face, body
10. It is Ok if at anytime you get distracted by thoughts. Without judging yourself, just bring your attention back to the experience of having a shower.
10. Imagine your body getting rinsed and cleaned of all impurities and dirt.
11. Imagine the feeling of cleanliness developing as water trickles down your body
12. When you have finished shower, pay attention to the touch of towel on your body
You can probably continue this for about 10 minutes. Being mindful during a shower like this will make the experience more relaxing and enriching.
Mindfulness has been a part of eastern culture including Buddhism, Hinduism and Islam for centuries. It is well documented in their traditional scriptures. These exercise can be found in most of the books or material on mindfulness. More recently Mindfulness has been found helpful in dealing with stress, anxiety, negative emotions, low mood, pain tolerance and insomnia. We will be regularly uploading various mindfulness exercises here. Keep checking this page regularly.