When we have a cup of coffee, most of us do not even notice what the experience feels like. We are distracted by hundred things while having a coffee. One of the simple ways of implementing mindfulness is to be aware of what we eat or drink.
You will notice that when you are mindful of having a cup of coffee, it is an entirely different, rich and relaxing experience. Let us be mindful of having a cup of coffee.
1. Be actively aware of when you put coffee, water, milk, and sugar in your cup.
2. Notice the smell and sound when you stir it with a spoon.
3. Notice the warmth of cup in your hands, when you pick up your cup
4. Notice the smell of the coffee when you take your cup near your lips
5. Notice the warmth of the brim of cup on your lips
6. Notice the taste of the coffee in your mouth
7. Notice how it feels like when you swallow your sip of coffee
8. Notice general feeling of warmth while you continue taking your coffee
9. Just focus on having your coffee only- its smell, its taste, its warmth, etc
10. You will get distracted, it is normal. Just bring your focus back to having your coffee
11. Continue it until you finish your coffee.
That is being mindful while having your coffee. You can practice this anytime and anywhere. You can apply this exercise to other foods and drink as well.
Mindfulness has been a part of eastern culture including Buddhism, Hinduism and Islam for centuries. It is well documented in their traditional scriptures. These exercise can be found in most of the books or material on mindfulness. More recently Mindfulness has been found helpful in dealing with stress, anxiety, negative emotions, low mood, pain tolerance and insomnia. We will be regularly uploading various mindfulness exercises here. Keep checking this page regularly.